Overview and policy as of July 21, 2021
We will soon be operating in an environment where onsite work is the campus default, while remote work options exist, and may be approved as an exception to the campus expectation for onsite work. UW-Madison supervisors and employees have been informed that on August 1, 2021, the UW–Madison Remote Work Policy will go into effect. The policy requires all existing remote work agreements to be re-executed and comply with the policy by August 31, 2021.
This process does not apply to faculty or grad student employees (unless they are requesting to work remotely at an out-of-state or international work location) or when an employee with a disability requests remote work as an accommodation (there is a separate process for those requests).
UW-Madison supervisors are responsible for reviewing and approving requests for remote work. Formalizing remote work agreements will start with an electronic remote work agreement, in which employees will enter information for their request. The request will then be routed electronically through an approval process and, where risks are flagged, a review process. This electronic remote work agreement form will launch on July 25, 2021.
Each unit in CALS will develop and submit a philosophy statement reflecting the unit’s expectations and plan for using multiple types of work modalities, from August 1 – December 31, 2021. The philosophy statement provides CALS HR Managers your unit’s remote work guidelines. There is a template available. Your assigned CALS HR Manager can be contacted with questions.
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) has created resources to assist school/college/division (S/C/D) leadership, supervisors, and employees in understanding the policy and how to implement it:
- Remote Work: Guidance and Resources for Supervisors
- Remote Work Suitability Assessment Guide for Managers
- Note: Each S/C/D determines the specific procedures for evaluating and approving or denying a remote work request. This resource is intended as a general resource. The process outlined in this resource may differ based on the S/C/D.
- Approver Workflow
- Approver Guide to Hard Stops, Risks, and Attestations in the Remote Work Agreement
- Leadership Coaching from the Office of Strategic Consulting
- Supervising in a Hybrid Work Environment
- All employees
- Remote Work: Guidance and Resources for Employees
- Remote Work Policy Procedures Manual
- Employee Checklist for Completing a Remote Work Agreement
- Employee Access to Remote Work Agreement
- Sample Remote Work Agreement
- Employee Workflow
- CALS Process for Review of Denial, Modification, or Revocation of Remote Work Arrangements
- Professional Development: Reuniting Campus
- Dean VandenBosch message on fall remote work from 7/12/21
Key dates for implementation
- July 25, 2021: Anticipated launch of the UW-Madison electronic remote work agreement form
- August 1, 2021: Remote Work Policy goes into effect. This is the earliest date a remote work agreement may be approved.
- August 6, 2021: CALS deadline date for unit philosophy statements.
- August 13, 2021: CALS deadline date for approving unit philosophy statements.
- August 31, 2021: Campus submission deadline for remote work agreement forms for employees engaging in full or partial hybrid or remote work agreements. The Remote Work Policy requires all existing remote work agreements to be re-executed and comply with the policy by this date.
- December 31, 2021: This is the latest date a fall 2021 remote work agreement may be in effect within CALS. Supervisors may review plans for remote work in calendar year 2022, when meeting with employees for the annual summary performance reviews.